It is important that the employees of any office are comfortable and satisfied with their office space, furniture and ambience. Safety of the employees is also an equally important concern. It is essential that a work place adheres to certain standards that ensure the safety of its employees. It is for this purpose that the US government has set up the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). This government agency has set up certain safety guidelines to ensure safety of workers at places like construction sites, office spaces and office cubicles.
According to OSHO, cubicles are classified as ‘confined spaces’. OSHO does not provide exact measurements for office cubicles. However, there are some standards to be maintained at your work place, whether you have used cubicles or new cubicles. Discussed here are some guidelines to be followed in the use of office cubicles.
• There should be enough space for the user and his equipment. There should be room for the free movement of his legs and arms. There should also be enough space for the clearance of thighs when the user is seated at his workstation or table.
• Cubicles in offices must have safe and proper ventilation. The density of oxygen must meet the required limits.
• The workstation in the used cubicles must offer the user a friendly and comfortable posture while working. The hands must be placed parallel to the floor and the elbows must be resting at an angle between 90 and 120 degrees.
• According to OSHO, the chairs in office cubicles must provide the correct posture to its users. The armrests should be adjustable, and the chair should be able to swivel 360 degrees so that the user has easy access to the workstation.
• The monitor must be at a distance of at least 20 inches from the user. The mouse pads and keyboard should be under the equipment so as to reduce the stress on the user’s wrist.
• For cubicles, OSHO recommends a corner desk. This way there is space for two additional zones other than the computer zone. Hence workers will be able to successfully accomplish more than one task.
• The lighting in office cubicles must be non-hazardous. Flammable materials are not permitted by OSHO. During work hours, workstations should receive proper lighting. Thirty lumens is the recommended lighting for offices.
• All electrical appliances in office cubicles must have safe insulation. There shouldn’t be any exposed wires. All the connections should be properly grounded.
• There should be proper sanitation facilities for employees in their work areas. These should be properly cleaned.
As an employer, it is important that you ensure the safety of your workers. A copy of the OSHO guidelines should be posted in a place where all employees can view it. If the OSHO regulations are not followed, you will receive warnings and might even have to pay monetary fines. It is important to follow these safety guidelines in used cubicles to prevent any unfortunate work accidents. In case of such incidents, the employers will have to pay high medical bills or large compensation amounts. Used Cubicles.